What Exactly is Detoxification Diet and How To Go About It?
Our bodies are continually overloaded with toxins from pollution, cigarette smoke, pesticides, a poor diet, food additives, alcohol, caffeine etc. As these toxins build up in our system, a number of health problems can occur, which include weight gain, cellulite, headaches, dull skin, bloating, fatigue, lowered immunity, aches and pains, and a general lack of wellbeing. To get rid of this, a process called detoxing is undergone. It helps to remove toxins and results in weight-loss, feeling healthier and recover from all other niggling health problems.
Many methods are recommended to help you detox. These range from the mild and pleasurable like saunas and massages to the extreme and unpleasant such as colonic irrigation, bowel enemas and fasting. Herbal supplements like milk thistle, detox drinks and ‘liver’ tonics is yet another option. However a detox diet can be very effective since the food that we eat has the maximum effect on our body.
How to get started with my detox diet?
Before starting with your detox diet, you could do a little bit of homework on detoxification. Some sites online offer a detox screening quiz which could help gauge the symptoms of toxicity you have. To be on the safer side, go through the precautions that are included with any diet plan. Many books are available in the market, written by well- known dieticians on detox diets. Going through them may also help.
What would it include?
The foods allowed and excluded can vary widely amongst different detox diets, but generally fruit, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, herbal teas and huge amounts of water are allowed. Conversely, wheat, dairy, meat, fish, eggs, caffeine, alcohol, salt, sugar and processed foods – rather, most of the foods that many of us love – are banned.
What are the advantages of a detox diet?
- Fewer headaches – it is a result of being fully hydrated due to drinking so much water
- Better skin – due to eating more antioxidant-packed fruit and veg.
- Improvement in cellulite – Cellulite will also improve if you pay more attention to your thighs and bottom by body brushing these areas and
- less bloating – as result of feeling ‘empty’ much of the time!
- Weight loss – The amount of weight you can expect to lose will differ according to the severity of dietary restriction – the more foods that are banned, greater weight you are likely to lose!
- Good habits – Detox diets encourage some good habits such as eating more fruit and vegetables, drinking more water and cutting down on junk food and processed foods. They also encourage you to cut back on caffeine and alcohol.