Anti Anxiety Medication
Everyone experiences anxiety at one time or another–“butterflies in the stomach” before giving a speech or sweaty palms during a job interview are common symptoms. Other symptoms include irritability, uneasiness, jumpiness, feelings of apprehension, rapid or irregular heartbeat, stomachache, nausea, faintness, and breathing problems. When there is anxiety there are also medications for it. These
Everyone experiences anxiety at one time or another–“butterflies in the stomach” before giving a speech or sweaty palms during a job interview are common symptoms. Other symptoms include irritability, uneasiness, jumpiness, feelings of apprehension, rapid or irregular heartbeat, stomachache, nausea, faintness, and breathing problems. When there is anxiety there are also medications for it. These medications have proved to be very helpful over the years. There are various anti anxiety medications given to the patients suffering from anxiety or panic attacks 2-5 times a day, but only on the prescription of a doctor. The doctor should also be well aware of the history of the patient.
The Medicines So Listed:
Both antidepressants and Anti anxiety medications are used to treat anxiety disorders. The broad-spectrum activity of most antidepressants provides effectiveness in anxiety disorders as well as depression. The first medication specifically approved for use in the treatment of OCD. Some of the so used medications are mentioned below:
- Tricyclic antidepressant clomipramine (Anafranil),
- The SSRIs, fluoxetine (Prozac),
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), and
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
All the four have been now approved. Paroxetine has also been approved for social anxiety disorder (social phobia, and panic disorder; and sertraline is approved for panic disorder.
- Benzodiazepines -Anti Anxiety Medications: Anti anxiety medications include the benzodiazepines, which can relieve symptoms within a short time. They have relatively few side effects: drowsiness and loss of coordination are most common; fatigue and mental slowing or confusion can also occur. These effects make it dangerous for people taking benzodiazepines to drive or operate some machinery. Other side effects are rare.
- Buspirone -Anti Anxiety Medications: The only anti anxiety medications specifically for anxiety disorders other than the benzodiazepines is buspirone (BuSpar). Unlike the benzodiazepines, buspirone must be taken consistently for at least 2 weeks to achieve an Anti-anxiety effect and therefore cannot be used on an “as-needed” basis.
- Beta Blockers -Anti Anxiety Medications: Beta blockers, medications often used to treat heart conditions and high blood pressure, are sometimes used to control “performance anxiety” when the individual must face a specific stressful situation–a speech, a presentation in class, or an important meeting. Propranolol (Inderal, Inderide) is a commonly used beta-blocker.
There are very many reasons for the use of these medications. The dosage and use should be such in order to reveal the tension and anxiety of the person. Anxiety is often manageable and mild, but sometimes it can present serious problems. A high level or prolonged state of anxiety can make the activities of daily life difficult or impossible.